Friday, January 28, 2011

Bahman's letter to Sue,

Dear Sue,
Nice to hear from you again too. Thank you for the information about Masons. We read Walden on last Friday. Ali told us the meaning of its words. We only read them for the first time. I remembered its words after class. It was interesting for me. Walden’s words are very difficult and hard. I can remember the meaning of them, now. One of Walden’s words is very interesting for me. Trill, we have a technique in playing Santur. Its name is trill. A Santur player should play two notes continually briskly. It makes a sound like trill of sparrows.
We read an exam called IELTS. It has 4 parts (reading, speaking, writing and listening). We read a reading test last Friday and it is difficult for me.
Take care,
Bahman

1 comment:

Sue said...

Hi Bahman, I love it when there are words that are the same in both languages. Trill means the same in English as in Persian. There are many other words like, Magi, algebra etc. that we share. English shares many words with many other countries. Trill came from the Italian language my dictionary tells me.

Yes, Walden was written in the 1840s, I believe which means that Thoreau's English is more wordy and elaborate than today's English. But in the elaboration is beauty and great truths. I hope you don't give up on reading his works.

If you need nelp with your IELTS test let me know. It is good that T is getting you used to such tests.

Take care, Sue