Monday, January 31, 2011

A letter from Javad

Sue,

Javad is a 16 year old boy who loves English a lot.  He does not have a computer at home and knows not how to type or work with the internet.  I decided to help him and type his letter here:

Hello Sue,

I want to ask you about your high schools in your countries.  We have a textbook called Persian Literature in our high schools.  I want to know if you have such a textbook in your country for your own literature.  I have another question: How do Americans feel about Iranians?

Javad

1 comment:

Sue said...

Hi Javad, It is nice to meet you in this way. Our high schools are probably much like yours. We have all subjects and the only difference is that in most cases girls and boys are in class together. Yes we have literature books that are studied in English classes. However our literature is not only American, but includes literature from many different countries, some in translation. I remember studying German, British, French and other classics in literature.

You ask how to Americans feel about Iranians. I will ask you, how do Iranians feel about Americans? The answer I will give is that most Americans know very little about Iran. We have not had diplomatic relations for about 35 years so we are really strangers to each other. In such a case false tales and suspicions grow on both sides of the fence. I hope that we can remove that fence someday soon.

Your friend, Sue