Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A letter from Faranak to Sue

Dear Sue,
I missed you a lot, my exams and projects were finished 2 days ago. The exam days usually are hard and busy days so I couldn't do any thing expect studying.
what do you do these days? How were your new year's holidays?

You said to me in the last comment:"I wonder if you would not be happier in a research position regardless of which field you choose."
I think yes, I always love to graduate in a course which I can do research about it's subject. I think, now, I impressed by atmosphere of my friends and my university, if I consult and search more, maybe my idea change about studying Network.

Dear friend, every one likes to study at a university in the U.S. because most of the best universities in the world are there. If I had a situation to study there, undoubtedly I came.
Now, some questions about studying there made my mind busy.
Do you know what conditions are for a foreign students to take a scholarship? Do they give scholarship very hard?
How is a viewpoint of American to a Iranian Muslim?
How is a situation of a Iranian woman with a veil? Dose she live there easily like other women? Dose she have social respect?
My dear friend, these questions don't arise from bad thinking of US, I asked them because I'm not familiar with your country and your culture very well.
When I got acquainted with you, I knew American are very kind and lovely people.
I hope I don't offend you with these questions.
Your friend, Faranak.

1 comment:

Sue said...

My Dear Faranak, I, too, missed you. Before I answer your questions about study in the US, let me suggest you study verb conjugations. In short it should be "I am impressed," If you say "I impressed" you are saying you impressed someone else.

"maybe my idea change" should be "maybe my idea will change. (future)
"everyone likes to study" should be "Everyone would like to study."
"undoubtedly I come" should be "undoubtedly I would come."

I would suggest you write for information from Harvard University, Columbia University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Yale University. These are all outstanding institutions in the East. Ask them for information on scholarships for Iranian students. What is required? Ask if Iranians are accepted as students.
Ask them for course descriptions for what you are intersted in and give them some idea of yor gradepoint. Assure them that you can provide excellent references and see what they say.
I'll see if I can get the addresses for you.

As to the veil--I see it quite often, even here in the West. I have even seen Burkas being worn. How do I say this?...There are kind, intelligent people in the US and there are idiots. Some have strange and unintelligent ideas about the Middle East and yet, there is no country in the world in which you find more diversity. We have all kinds of people and all forms of dress, so I think you will be fine, particularly if you are in Boston or New York--an Eastern city. There, people are more sophisticated and knowledgeable.

The Iranian government is not America's biggest friend right now, as you know. But it is the government, not the people that are frowned on.
We do not have an embassy in Iran which I think is a shame. And there is not an Iranian embassy here. The Muslim part would not be a problem. Most large Universities have many muslim students and I'm sure you would find many friends. President Obama made a statement in his State of the Union speech: "American Muslims are our friends."

As you know, there are all kinds of people in all countries and some are good and kind and others are jerks. However, I think at the universities you will find total acceptance and much respect. If an American woman wants respect, and acts in a respectful manner, she ordinarily gets it. Do you understand what I mean?

You don't offend me at all with your very good questions, Faranak. I, myself, was thinking of coming to Iran, but our state department has warnings out for US citizens right now. Perhaps this will change.

If I find any information I think you would like I'll send it to you.

Your Friend, Sue