Saturday, January 29, 2011

Bahman's letter to Sue,

Dear Sue,
Yes, I played it. It is not very good. Music is very interesting. When player is tired, he cannot play a good piece. Player should have a free think without any problem. I am mentally preoccupied in these days.
I think that there are many lessons in Walden. I think that one of them is importance of time.
Time was very important for Thoreau. Is it correct?
I think that Thoreau read many oriental books too.
I can feel closeness in Thoreau’s writings and oriental writings.
Take care,
Bahman

1 comment:

Sue said...

Dear Bahman, Why are you so mentally preoccupied? It sounds to me like you have decisions to make and you aren't sure how to make them. Don't downplay your music. You are doing very well, and I agree that a musician needs to feel free to create.

Yes, Walden speaks of time. Thoreau believed that we should use our time wisely, and by that he meant "If we are alive let us go about our business. Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in. I drink at it but while I drink I see the sandy bottom and detect how shallow it is. It's thin current slides away but eternity remains."
That is one of my favorite quotes from Henry Thoreau. I think he means that we need to use our time and avoid the sandy bottom--look for the eternal things in life.

I believe Thoreau's connection to the Oriental is that we are very much alike when it comes to the eternal--the deeper things of life. We love, we cry, we desire, we die. Why do we argue when we are all brothers in this way?

Corrections:
I only have one. Think is a verb, but thought can be a noun. You would say "A player should have free thought..."

Good letter!

Sue