Saturday, December 18, 2010

Ben Jonson in Thoreau's Walden


In chapter Sounds, Thoreau finds the owls sounds and singing to be "Ben Jonsonian." He was an English dramatist and poet 1573?–1637.Their dismal scream is truly Ben Jonsonian."
"When other birds are still, the screech owls take up the strain, like mourning women their ancient u-lu-lu. 

I love this poem from Ben Jonson very much:

Drink to me only with thine eyes,
         And I will pledge with mine;
Or leave a kiss but in the cup,
         And I’ll not look for wine.
The thirst that from the soul doth rise
         Doth ask a drink divine;
But might I of Jove’s nectar sup,
         I would not change for thine.
   
I sent thee late a rosy wreath,
         Not so much honouring thee
As giving it a hope, that there
         It could not withered be.
But thou thereon didst only breathe,
         And sent’st it back to me;
Since when it grows, and smells, I swear,
         Not of itself, but thee.

3 comments:

Sue said...

This beautiful poem was put to music, but no one knows who wrote it for sure. Here is Robert Merrill, a famous opera star of the past singing it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jup9t9KTtn8&feature=related

Alireza Taghdarreh said...

Thanks Sue,

I downloaded the song and enjoyed it very much.

Ali

Sue said...

A further search brought this version of the song to my attention:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LJeidEMdXA&feature=related

This is Johnny Cash a famous American Country Music singer. If you listen to Robert Merrill, you hear operetic, high English. When you listen to Cash you hear Middle America.

A great study in the different accents. It might be good for your students to hear the difference.

Sue