Saturday, December 4, 2010

A New Approach to Your English Lessons

To Bahman and Faranak, and others who wish to join in, and to those who Mr. T gives this assignment:

Here in America we are ending our old year of 2010 and getting ready for a new year to begin on January 1, 2011

And so, with a new year comes a new approach: let us change our method of learning English--just a little bit. I propose that I make an assignment, you complete it and return it to Leaves, where I will comment and mark errors as I see them. However, this time I will not correct your mistakes! (at least not most of the time,) You will correct your own mistakes, or ask Mr. T to help you.

When your mistakes are corrected, Ali will let me know and I will make another assignment. This first assignment is for everyone. After that, I will make individual assignments as you finish the first one. Remember, however, you are not competing with anyone. You are only competing with yourself: To make yourself a better reader and speaker of English.

In addition, now and then I will ask you to answer some questions for me and return them to me so that I can see how you are doing.

I think this will be of more help to you, and that is what is important. We all learn better when we learn to correct our own mistakes. It also helps give us a sense of accomplishment.

Your First Assignment

Write a 5 paragraph essay on why you want to learn English.

Paragraph I – Introduction and statement of your reasons.
Paragraph II, III, IV – Explain each reason in a separate paragraph. (You may have 1, 2, 3 or more reasons.)

Last Paragraph – Conclusion in which you restate your reasons and end your essay.

…Each paragraph must be at least 3 sentences long
…Each sentence must have a noun, or pronoun and a verb.

Good luck. If you have any questions see Mr.T or email me at spetrovski@comcast.net.

Your friend , Sue

No comments: